Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Good Man is Like Water.


This quote can be translated, `A good man is like water. Water benefits all without competing.' This illustration includes a man with a hose, a dog biting the hose, and a cactus. My first thought upon reading this section of the Dao De Jing for the first time in college was about title waves and hurricanes. Those are examples of water that can cause damage or harm. My analytical western mind has been trained to find flaws and exceptions. The point of the passage, that being a good person should be done without ego and ostentation, is always something I ponder. It is hard to do good and not expect something in return. If I had that level of selflessness, I wouldn't be divorced. I would have good relations with everyone.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool blog!! I will add this to my blog's sidebar which lists nearly 100 Taoist links. And I'll be back to visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the art in your blog!!! I have similar interests to yours but your talent is way more impressive! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete